Thursday, February 28, 2013

Robert Frost

I enjoyed reading Robert Frost, he wrote one of my favorite poems 'Nothing Gold Can Stay'. 'Mending Wall' was a tad bit confusing to me. I like Frost's modernism and I feel there are many things you can take away from his poems. It feels that almost everyone can relate in one way or another. What I found in 'Birches' was maybe he wasn't really talking about the actual birches themselves. When Frost got done explaining how the birches became bent and formed it dawned on me when he specifically said,

"...And they seem not to break; though once they are bowed
So low for long, they never right themselves;..."

it made me think that he could possibly be talking about a persons experiences in life. Bad and good things happen to each and everyone of us and once they do we are never the same. Yet, we don't break, we persevere, and keep on living because to give up under ever little or big pressure that is pushed upon us is usually not an answer. Even with good things that happen, we want more good things so we don't typically just stop and say...well that was good enough. The last thing is I find myself saying often...well it could be worse...and it does have an influence on your perspective to thing of people and situations that are way more difficult to handle than yours, ultimately giving you some of your motivation.

"...One could do worse than be a swinger of birches."

I really enjoyed 'The Road Not Taken'. I love all of the meanings you can get from it. A saying that comes to mind is "going against the grain", which I love. He choses the road less taken to explore and find himself, I believe. It turns out to be more than he could have expected so much so that he states he may never return. This unworn road was more beautiful and gave him much more happiness. So what I get out of this is don't always follow the crowd, it doesn't always get you where you need to go.


No comments:

Post a Comment