Thursday, February 21, 2013

E.E. Cummings- The Cambridge ladies who live in furnised souls- Mayra Toscano



 The Cambridge Ladies Who live in Furnished Souls by Edward Estlin Cummings


The poem at first was a bit different rhyme scheme than his other poems but I found it to be very distinctive. He quickly attacks the way they live their life and what they are accustomed to, which was really odd to me, but I found it to be infrequent. The way he described the characters was splendid. He referred to the Cambridge ladies as upper class, spoon-fed women with no worries. Cummins quickly points out they live in “furnished souls” stating they are well off women who have everything done for them, all emotions controlled and even their minds, perhaps. I feel like he was indicating they are not very open-minded. He states they “have comfortable minds” and “do not care” they are settled and accustomed to their own lifestyle, they box themselves in. Cummins effectively directs the ideas of furnished houses and essentially filled house with spirit and soul, in reference to attack their way of life and the way of life perhaps of many in the Cambridge area. While I was reading the poem, I felt like he was directing this to not only the ladies way of thinking, but to their “comfortable minds” which show their lack of individuality. It’s very amusing the way he experiments with the poem and I found it to be one of my favorites! 

No comments:

Post a Comment