Thursday, February 7, 2013

Johnson & Dunbar

After reading from both James W. Johnson and Paul L. Dunbar I have noticed that Johnson is more of a formal writer than Dunbar has more normal style of writing. Both Dunbar and Johnson seem to include God in their work, but Dunbar had a different perspective and wrote as a prior slave and Johnson was very descriptive so to say. I read "The Creation" by Johnson and "We Wear The Mask" by Dunbar and honestly I'm not a fan of either of these two. If I had to choose a specific poem I enjoyed more I would say The Creation because I understood it more and knew what he was talking about. Overall they are both great writers but I find Dunbar's work far too difficult to read at some points and I like to read fluidly without having to question what I am reading.

1 comment:

  1. I agree im not a fan of either of these poets. Even though Dunbar made you think about what he was writing about it was hard to translate and you had to read it out loud to make sure you are saying the words right. But when Dunbar decided not to use regionalism I enjoyed the fact that I was able to kind understand some of his poems. But it is also hard for me to relate to his poems because im not from the same region and understand the hardships in his region.

    ReplyDelete