Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Robert Frost



Robert Frost has always been a favorite of mine. His poems are sometimes difficult to understand but for the most part it is relatively simple to see the underlying message. I like his style of writing and the rhythm of his poems. “Mending Wall” was not one that I enjoyed, it seemed kind of jumbled to me, like he jumped around from idea to idea. However, my interpretation of the poem is something to do with the idea that if you put up “walls” in your life you will be happier due to the fact that he used the phrase “Good fences make good neighbors” more than once. “The Road Not Taken” is probably my favorite poem by Frost. It’s very simple to understand with a delightful meaning and life lesson. He is faced with a decision to be a follower or take a chance and not go with the crowd. He chooses to take the road less traveled and was very pleased with his decision. I believe this is something everyone, no matter how young or old, can learn from and use in life. “Birches” is a little more difficult to understand but what I got out of it is that he sees the trees bent by the ice storm but he likes to think it is because of boys swinging on them as he once did. And when he did he felt like he left the worries and problems of earth for a short time and was gently let back down. I actually enjoyed this poem as it is not one that I would usually like. “Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening” is pretty short and to the point. There isn’t much to it and is pretty much explained in the title. However, if there must be a deeper meaning I would say it is that sometimes you just have to stop and enjoy and appreciate what is around you even if it seems unusual or not exactly beautiful at first sight.

1 comment:

  1. As I read the poem "walls" what mostly came to my mind was the wall could symbolize friendship maybe because he talked about how over time it needs to be repaired and how both neighbors have to want to for it to be there. "Birches" was actually very confusing to me, yet in the poem i noticed alot of opposites, he would say the "ice covered' but also talk about the "shining sun" which stood out to me. I also noticed a good amount of sexual references in it... but that might just be me. I actually enjoyed reading his poetry even though some of it was difficult to understand.

    ReplyDelete