Monday, February 18, 2013

Babylon Revisited - F. Scott Fitzgerald

When I first began reading this story I kinda of felt like I was put into the middle of a scene and suppose to use context clues to figure it out. There were a lot of questions about the background and setting that I would of liked to have been given. For instance, Why did they keep refering to different parts of the world? What was the significance in mentioning the french, american, and so on throughout the entire story? I also didn't understand if his type of work was suppose to be clear, or why they didn't mention it.
Overall, the story did not take me through an emotional experience like i feel the author intended. The story was blissful when Charlie was getting together details on taking his daughter home. Even though i did feel a sense of joy, i didn't feel a total 360 when the mood changed and he ended up not getting his daughter. The response that charlie had kind of seemed neutral. Was charlie not THAT devastated about not being able to take his daughter?
I was a little confused on if Charlie had a romantic relationship with Lorraine in the past. Or maybe if that couple tagged along with him when he was "acting badly".
I always enjoy Fitzgerald's pieces, but this one was not my favorite, I didn't find it as dramatic, or emotional, as his other work.

4 comments:

  1. As I read "Babylon Revisited" I found myself siding with Charlie. I have friends who have been through separations from their spouses and knowing my friends knew that they were capable of anything in order to be able to see their kids. Staying away from alcohol would not be a challenge if it meant they got to have their kids all the time. For a hectic time like the 1920's I can only imagine how difficult it could be for someone to keep a level head, especially after losing a wife, riches and a daughter must have been quite difficult, so again I side with Charlie. I definitely give him a second chance at happiness. I understand Marion wants to protect Honoria, but so does Charlie and who better for the job than her father. She too misses him and wants to live with him, so why not? I really didn't understand the point of the story, other than what was discussed in class, which left me thinking it was just a story that took the reader through the story of Charlie's struggle after the stock market crash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt like I was just thrown in the middle of the story too ha, but I liked how he wanted to get his daughter back and how he was working on himself just to get her back. I haven't read any other Fitzgerald pieces, but I thought this one was kind of interesting. I actually wanted to keep reading this piece ha. I thought he had a romantic past with Lorraine as well. She was acting pretty weird when it came to him. It's like she really wanted to spend time with him even though he was trying to blow her off after they saw each other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charlie was a travelling businessman and was gone often as well as somewhat shielded from the stock market crash. It doesn't go into detail about his particular line of work, but I'd rather not have to read details that are insignificant to the overall plot..
    However, I do agree that Charlie's reaction to Marion's decision was so nonchalant. It suggested to me that perhaps he was truly a selfish man, who only wanted his daughter so he wouldn't have to be alone.
    Overall, I enjoyed how it wasn't the ending I expected as well as the varied mood the story takes, it applies a sense of realism through my eyes. No fairy tale ending here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have to agree. I didn't like how it just threw you into the scene and talked about all of these random people initially. I did enjoy revising it in class and picking apart the question had Charlie truly changed? We came up in our group that he in fact did change, but wasn't sold on if it was for the better and did he change for himself or just to get what he wanted. Not that his daughter isn't important. But, I feel people don't fully change until they do it for themselves. I enjoyed the read, a little boring at parts.

    ReplyDelete