Thursday, March 7, 2013

Langston Hughes:The Weary Blues

Of all the poems I read so far, I feel I can relate to "The Weary Blues". A poem seemingly to be about the confronts of music during a time of depression.  The man he describes playing the piano doesn't stop playing because he has no one. " Ain't got nobody in all this world, Ain't got nobody but ma'self". Even though the man playing the piano is singing these words, I feel that they are Hughes true feelings, sung through the man, playing the blues. Hughes grew up without out his parents and talks of being alone in other poems such as the "Theme for Enlgish B". Although this poem speaks of depression, it also speaks of a love for music. A love that is hidden behind the words of melancholy.  The man plays music "far into the night he crooned that tune". Thump, thump, thump,went his foot to the floor". these quotes hint at enjoyment, while the words he sings paints a depressing picture. "I ain't happy no mo' And I wish that I had died". This line tells of the harsh thoughts of a depressed man contemplating suicide, or is so depressed, that he just does not want to be alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment