Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Invisible Man

The ending of chapter 1 kind of confused me. Was the scholarship a joke or was it a letter from his grandfather? Anyways, the story was barbaric. I know why he would resent powerful white men after being teased with a naked girl, beat up blindly, forced to fight till he or Tatlok was knocked out, teased again into collecting coins on an electric rug, and then speaking while most of them laughed and scolded him. It seemed like he was very patient toward the treatment he recieved by the white folks, but it always "boomeranged" back and I guess he finally had enough and realized his invisibility to them. Later on I guess he decides to treat white folks the way they treated him. Interesting story to read, but pretty "F"ed up at the same time.

1 comment:

  1. Here is what I understand from the ending.
    The briefcase was awarded to him, but first he had to be submissive to the white me. Unlike his grandfather, he feels that by being respectful and obedient he will benefit in the end. I believe that is why his grandfather is in the dream with him--because of their contrasting takes on how to earn things in life. He did get the scholarship, but his dream he is revealing that although he consciously ignores it, there is a part of his subconscious that realizes the self belittlement he had to do to 'earn' it. Which isn't really earning anything. That is what I understood from that ending, but I may be completely off.

    ReplyDelete