Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Jack Karouac

In this excerpt from "On the Road" I mainly got that he was telling a story about his life. I love that he is a cop and doesn't want to be and he gets drunk making his rounds. I feel like I can relate to his life somewhat. Living as well as he can just making the best of his job just trying to make a living while he is pursuing his dream. But, then I feel like he is not fulfilling his true dreams. He's talking about writing a story for Hollywood but sounds rather indifferent about it. I can relate, as I am sure many students ca, you are in school going for a certain degree but is that what you really want to do with your life? Back to Jack... all in all he's just telling the story of his life and the way things happen for him. Sal is Jack who is Remi?

1 comment:

  1. As far as for "On The Road" I had really been looking forward to reading it as I had been planning to do so for quite some time and was hoping with assignment would give me the push to start. I really enjoy the way Kerouac writes. Theres something about his simplicity and spontaneity that make him really intriguing to read. I know the book is also loosely based on real life events and real life characters. I found myself concentrating on that fact that Remi continuously finds the things Sal says extremely funny when he just says mediocre normal things, I assume he's not saying to be funny. I wonder for what purpose that was for.

    ReplyDelete