Monday, January 28, 2013

A Story of Love in an Hour

"The Story of an Hour" really appealed to me tonight because I like love and death. They are two of my favorite topics about life. In this reading the way Mrs. Mallard reacts to the death of her husband seemed fake at first. The way she cried and stormed to her room. I say fake because immediately upon entering the other room and being alone she shows her true feelings. She is happy that he is gone. She had this terrible heart condition for a while now, but it was suddenly cured. She said she felt free. She would be able to live for herself, and not for someone else. One hour thinking changed her whole outlook on life. She wanted to go out and live a life of her accord. Sadly, this could not last, for when she came downstairs her husband came walking in the room. When she saw this, she just gave up and died. This reminded me of the story of my Aunt Odie's and Uncle Ray's deaths. It is, however, the opposite of this story being they were both actually in love. These two people in my life weren't really my aunt and uncle. They were my grandparent's neighbors in New York and my God parents. They followed my parents to texas because of me and my sister. I knew them both for as long as I could remember. Odie became very feeble in old age, and would get injured or sick easily. Ray was the second manliest man I knew(first is my father). He was always healthy, strong, and never got sick. Odie eventually passed away in 2002 at the age of sixty-one. Ray seemed so strong only fifty-six years of age, and still had a long life ahead of him. However, he became really sick only months after Odie's funeral. He never told us with what, but he refused to see a doctor. He died only 5 months after Odie's funeral of natural causes. "The Story of an Hour" brought up a correlation that I strongly believe exists between love and life and death. Love can make a person feel alive, and for some is a reason to live. However, when lost it can be very painful and even deadly.


1 comment:

  1. You bring up a very interesting point regarding your god parents dying so close to each other (And I am sorry for your loss; I recently lost someone close as well.). I think it is very common for people who are close and love each other to pass away within a short time of each other. The Mallards on the surface appear to be all of the perfect things society told them to be. Mrs. Mallard had so completely convinced herself that she was happy even though in reality she was very sad inside. An outside observer might picture their deaths close to each other like their own grandparents perhaps. What actually transpired was much different. Mr. Mallards death brought life; his life brought death. It serves as an allegory for what you see is not always what is true(Immanuel Kant?). Just like the doctor observing "the joy that kills". The doctor was so certain but in reality he was oblivious. Even Mrs. Mallard was oblivious to her own feelings. It must be a truly despairing life to suffer in a comfortable jail feeling the guilt of wanting to escape your comforts. I'm sure that is why Mrs. Mallard repressed her feelings. No wonder she would rather die.

    James Hester

    ReplyDelete