Thursday, March 28, 2013

A Perfect Day for Bananafish

As I read this story I found it to express the oddities of each character described in the story. In a way it seems that Salinger wrote it to have the story play out in a weird sort of Sundance film kind of way, at least that is the feeling I got when i read it. One thing I didn't understand in the story is why Seymour committed suicide? and also why was he playing with 3 year old girls? It seems kind of creepy and I wonder if Salinger had things from his own life contribute to the story and its characters. Also what is up with Seymour and his feet? Did his self-consciousness lead to his eventual suicide? I think Salinger really develops the story in unique way as he provides insight on the characters and the roles they play in the story. However i do wish Salinger would have written about the internal, ideas/problems that Seymour faced, so readers could have concrete evidence to understand his actions and more of his character.

1 comment:

  1. Like Jthurman above, i also do not know the exact reason why Seymour committed suicide. I suppose it was from the demons he was fighting in his head from the war. I also wish that the Author would've elaborated more on his problems. As far as why he was playing with 3 year old girls i did not find it creepy. I feel he was innocently trying to escape reality by escaping into this fantasy world with a child, simply to escape the things going on in his head.

    ReplyDelete