Friday, April 26, 2013

Adrienne Rich "Diving into the Wreck"

Well starting the poem off with a camera, checking the edge of a knife and a black suit, I was already thinking that this was going to be about killing someone and recording it for their own personal satisfaction.  Boy did I get the completely wrong idea.  Once I read the flippers and mask I started to realize that the person is about to go scuba diving.  The line "awkward mask" made me think that the narrator is not use to a scuba diving mask so I think it's different from previous ones or it is the first time scuba diving.  Once the narrator starts heading down the ladder I get the feeling he/she might feel a little nervous and confused.  I feel as if I'm being put into their shoes.  Once the narrator is in, it seems like they are not too fond with the feeling of water pressure as they sink deeper into the dark sea.  I know I would feel weird floating around and still able to breathe underwater.  The line "it is easy to forget what I came for," tells me that the narrator is getting use to being under water now.  Like all other things you let happen like riding a roller coaster or driving a car, you get use to it and ignore whatever feeling you were not use to before.  This story gave me the feeling of comfort because every knew thing we experience eventually comes easy to us.

4 comments:

  1. Even though this poem was longer than most of the other ones we read, I enjoyed it. I think there is a lot of symbolism in this poem and there is more to it than what meets the eye. I think the dark water symbolizes that her journey is somewhat fearful supported by the fact that she has to use the ladder to descend slowly and not just jump in, indicating that she is hesitant. The ladder is also important and I think it represents a decision because it goes up and down. She can either give up and climb back up the ladder or she can continue down to the wreck. I’m not sure what the camera and the knife represent. Was she going to cut something or record something? And also I don’t really know what the point of the journey was or what she achieved by it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, I thought this poem was well written and I also enjoyed reading it as well. Rich speaks of dark water, in which a ladder descends from the top of the water all the way down to the bottom. It's as if the dark water resembles unforgotten, fearful memories, which the narrator wants to face due to unsolved problems from her past. The narrator soon finds herself exploring a damaged shipwreck, only relating it to herself. The narrator is also confronted by a mermaid and merman. She states, "I am she: I am he," possibly stating that she's related or the child of both the mermaid and merman. She eventually finds herself once again, but she does leave the reader hanging, questioning and wondering what happens in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this was one of the better poems that we read in class it was very easy to read and seemed like a great story of diving. Although it was not until later that i realized that it was a metaphor for going into a dark place in her mind. I think the Author was clever to make it seem like a journey under water. Once i discovered this metaphor i was amazed at how well Adrienne Rich used this story of "Diving into the Wreck" to show this journey in to her thoughts. I would recommend this poem to anybody

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, I was definitely caught off guard when I realized it was not going to be about a murder (slightly disappointed because I like reading about those things). Overall although long I believe it was one of my favorite poems we read in class this semester. The symbolism of the diving and darkness of the water was compelling and made me think about my deeper thoughts as it seemed as if she was referring to her mind even though she was physically doing something aside from only deep thought. It seems like the narrator was lost throughout the poem and although she finds herself again multiple times it is easily relatable because I'm sure everyone feels lost from time to time in their own lives.

    ReplyDelete